Monday, May 9, 2016

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!

In spirit of mother's day, I'd like to share something i wrote about the role and responsibilities of being a pet owner!

TO THOSE WHO SAY I'M NOT A MOM BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE HUMAN KIDS...

  • I take them to the doctor for vaccinations (and Blue Cross doesn't cover it!)... and yes, their doctor went to a really good school (Go Green!) for a long time.
  • I'd give up everything else to pay for their care (and have, unsuccessfully, and know that feeling of failure).
  • I watch how much they eat and make sure it's healthy.
  • I give them treats, but don't let them expect them for everything.
  • I give them treats, but not too many lest they get overweight and/or spoiled.
  • I expect good behavior, but let them know how much I appreciate it.
  • I make sure they get enough exercise, even when I don't feel like it.
  • I take them to the doctor when they just don't act right.
  • I feel guilty when I am away from them for too long.
  • I know when they don't feel well, even though they can't tell me.
  • I can tell just by touching them that they have a fever.
  • I notice when they have a new mark/spot/zit/growth.
  • I hold them when they're having a bad dream or getting a shot.
  • I say "You need to play outside while it's nice out!"
  • I teach them how to behave and am proud when they do. 
  • I forgive them when they don't.
  • When they learn something new, it's the cutest thing ever.
  • They do things I don't like, but I love them anyway.
  • I tell them to sleep in their own bed, but let them in mine anyway.
  • I clean up snot, spit, poop, pee, throw ups, and blood.
  • I will sometimes want a smooch that they don't want to give me, and sometimes they give me a smooch that grosses me out, but we loves anyway.
  • I teach them to be polite to strangers and play well with others.
  • Knowing if I don't teach them right, others may be hurt.
  • Knowing even if I do teach them right, they can make their own decisions that I may not like.
  • If others are mean to them, I protect them.
  • I like them to learn from others, but want them to listen to me first.
  • I hope I taught them well enough to behave when I'm not around.
  • Our respect is mutual and never assumed, but earned.
  • I can show them I love them even though they can't understand me if I tell them.
  • I worry about them when we aren't together.
  • I worry about them when we are together.
  • I want everyone else to love them as much as I do.
  • Everything they do is adorable. Don't argue.
  • I turn down and cancel events and responsibilities so I can be with them.
  • I go to a job I don't love every day so I can afford to care for them.
  • I won't date anyone who doesn't love them.
  • I turn down vacations because I only trust one person to watch them.
  • If I do go on vacation (or even out for the night!), I miss them and just want to come home so we can cuddle.
  • I won't get that new place/move to that city/take that new job because it won't work for US.
  • I'll lose my job, my car, my home, and anything else before I would give them up. We will be homeless wanderers, but at least we will be together.
  • Losing them is by far the worst thing imaginable, and I will never be whole without them.

If you would like to share some of your favorite parts of being a pet owner, Email Me Here!!

10 comments:

  1. You really share a part of your heart in this post, thank you! I love the compassion and love you have for your fur babies. I too love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued by your blog. I have thought that having a pet is mostly a fun thing but it comes with a lot of responsibility and challenges, i most cases more than raising children. Thank you for bringing the awareness. Excellent post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suresh! I have seen a lot of mean comments on social media about discounting being a "pet parent" because I didn't physically carry and give birth to my pets. I understand it's not quite the same, but like you said, it is still a lot of hard work and most of my life decisions are based on my pets' well being! Thank you for reading! ~ Casie

      Delete
  3. I love your post. The responsibility of having a dog is just like having a child! I have both and they have similar routines! Constantly giving them all of my attention and doing what's best for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I think this is a good list for someone who is considering getting their first dog to read too! ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Great post, I really am looking into getting a dog but I'm still not sure yet! This post sure helps! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. I lost my dog a couple of year ago she was my second child. I miss her so much. Your post reminded me so much of her especially the "feeling guilty when you're away from them" Just like with my kids I felt so guilty leaving her with other people or even at home alone.

    ReplyDelete