Monday, May 23, 2016

Adopt, Don't Shop!

Welcome back, readers! I hope you and your furbabies have had an awesome couple of weeks!

First, I’d like to start out by sharing some GREAT NEWS out of Arizona!! http://bit.ly/byebyeBSL


Next, Diesel wanted to make sure he got a mention in tonight’s post by promptly throwing up as soon as I sat down to write… in. my. bed. I guess pet parenting can’t be ALL fun and games! (He is fine now.) 

So, with the washing machine as my background music, I'd like to share some information on one of my favorite topics: animal rescue! 

If you're in the market for a new pet, Petfinder.com is my favorite site for rescue.  Petfinder lists pets from all different organizations, so you don't have to wonder if you're missing out on someone special. You can search by type, breed, age, gender, location, and more. You can specify whether you need a pet that gets along with dogs, cats, and kids. Another great feature is that you can search by pet name, which is helpful if 1) you have lost a pet or 2) you saw a pet you liked but can't remember where! <--- Yup, I've done it!

If you're considering buying a pet, consider this: I did a search of adoptable dogs within 100 miles of my zip code (with no other search filters) and there were 3,251 results. 

Let's take a minute to let that sink in. 
Over three thousand dogs in just this one small area... I try to multiply that by the area of the U.S., and I get so overwhelmed I cry. Cats are even higher - over 3,600. I did another search for all of their animal listings (yes, you can rescue a horse or a snake!) and there were over SEVEN THOUSAND. 


Seven thousand living, breathing, creatures who need a home.

I understand why people use breeders; I really do. They want to know where their pets came from, want the bloodline, want to be more confident that their pet won't have health issues (which is a ridiculous claim, by the way... and are you really going to RETURN your puppy!?? But I digress.). 

But seven thousand is such a HUGE number... and have you SEEN their faces?


I know, I know, you didn't come here for me to make you cry. Many people simply don't realize the sheer number of pets that are in shelters. Even if you aren't in a position to adopt a pet, you can still foster, volunteer or donate! And you don't even have to part with your hard-earned cash - shelters are in constant need of things you might throw away without a second thought: newspapers, blankets, towels, and old t-shirts! Speaking of t-shirts, you can also shop at websites that donate to shelters and rescues, like The Animal Rescue Site.

If you're interested in learning more, here's a link to some staggering statistics provided by the ASPCA.

If you would like some help finding a rescue or shelter near you or have any adoption/rescue or fostering questions, please feel free to contact me on Facebook or Twitter! I follow a ton of rescues and would be happy to help. 

Thanks for reading!


17 comments:

  1. That is an extremely overwhelming number of animals! I have been searching for a dog for a couple of months. Not too intensively, due to life, but it is so hard to find a hypo-allergenic dog that is up for adoption. They go pretty fast! Two of my children are allergic to dogs, so unfortunately we are limited in options, but I will definitely check out petfinder.com. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely overwhelming. I have to stay off Petfinder sometimes because I'll just sit and cry! I follow a lot of rescues on Facebook so if you need any help just let me know!

      Delete
  2. I am extremely happy to read about AZ. I happen to own a pit bull and although he can be protective if someone is threatening us he is an absolute lover. He wants to snuggle, give kisses (lots of kisses), and be lazy laying on his bed or mine. From the first day I got him he stole my heart and I couldn't be any happier. I strongly believe that it is not the breed, but how they are raised. That is what makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing!! I love happy pittie stories. :) I think people who haven't had an experience with pits are just inundated with negative media and can't help but develop fear. I think the best way to spread awareness is just to introduce people to your pup and they won't be able to help but fall in love!! :)

      Delete
  3. Great information, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such good news that Arizona has ended discrimination against pits! We are fostering a pit-bull and bull-mastiff terrier right now and he is SO sweet! The rescue found him in an abandoned warehouse with a broken leg and we think he was probably living out in the wild on his own for awhile. Now he has a happy, comfy place to stay and is definitely spoiled! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for being a foster!!! It is so hard but so rewarding!!

      Delete
  5. My parents have had pure bread Golden Retrievers my whole life. One was purchased from a breeder, and the other was an 'accident' and my mom purchased him from the owner in our neighborhood. Our boy, Leo, is a beautiful red golden. (If his mom had papers like his dad he could've won shows). My mom thought about studding him out, but I told her not to. There are too many puppies in the world that need love as it is. Studding him out will only create more and I would feel terrible if they went to a bad owner or were dropped off at the pound because the owner couldn't handle the responsibility. Although, I would love to have a golden-doodle one day, I plan on adopting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I try to be understanding of people's reasons for using a breeder, but I am VERY happy you plan to adopt!!! You might even be able to find a golden-doodle who needs rescuing. :)

      Delete
  6. Although this article was painful to read, thank you for writing it, and for raising awareness for pet rescue and adoption. My son and I are both huge animal lovers, and actually the commercial featuring your picture of the dog makes him cry every time it comes on. But without awareness these problems will continue to grow, and more loving animals will become homeless or abused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me cry too! I can be sitting on the couch snuggling with my puppies and picture them in the cages they used to live in and burst into tears!

      Delete
  7. Great blog! We adopted our dog from the local shelter, my kids have volunteered at local shelters and we donate as well! Plus we have helped lost dogs find their owners via a local Facebook page I belong to. I have three kids and Oscar (my 2 year old pup) is definitely my fourth child (and my baby). We are so happy we found him and couldn't imagine life without him. Its so sad all the animals out there in need of a home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article inspired me to get involved myself. I shared these statistics with a few friends of mine and they were equally blown away. We own a Pure Bred Yellow Lab which we purchased from a breeder and he is 13. Not sure how many more years he has left (hoping a lot) but this article made me really think about the adoption route. Thanks for sharing such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adopted my dog from a shelter and it was one of the best decisions I made. She truly changed my life and in some ways allowed me to fall in love again with another person. Awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is good at article! I adopted my dog in the shelter last year where I member of volunteer. I'm still so happy with my dog(Paco). When I met with him in the shelter at the first time, he looked so nervous stay in the cage. So I felt he needs forever home! I was hang out with him for three days before I adopted him from the shelter, because he wasn't friendly to strangers. But now he is super friendly to people and dogs! I wish people can come visit to the local animal shelter for make new family member in their life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree that people need to look at adopting pets first. There are to many good dogs that never get adopted sadly. My dog growing up was actually an adopted dog and he was an awesome dog! Great article!

    ReplyDelete